Opal Tap On and Tap Off Release 2

This dataset provides counts of tap ons and tap offs made on the Opal ticketing system during two non-consecutive weeks in 2016. The Opal tap on and tap off dataset contains six CSV files covering two weeks (14 days) of Opal data across the four public transport modes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/opal-tap-on-and-tap-off-release-2

Hi,

I understand the the privacy issues alluded to above.

However, I would like to have/be able to derive an origin-destination matrix for train trips. I’m not interested in an individuals’ travel pattern.

I would like to know for a station x, with n tap ons, what stations were the destination and how many travellers’ of the original n tap’d off at each destination.

Does such a dataset exist? Or, does the raw exist to derive the above matrix?

Thanks.

K.

Hi,

Could you please provide the same information (Tap on, tap off, time, location), by card type (Adult, Concession, Employee, etc).

Thank you

Hi @Gbedoya1. Due to privacy and security reasons, Opal data goes through a more thorough approval process before it can be published. The raw Opal data is anonymised by an algorithm for de-identification purposes. All of these factors means it takes longer to get that data out there. At this stage, we do not know when the next release of the Tap On and Tap Off will be.

Will there be a release 3 that includes the Metro and/or L2/L3?

Hi @jayen – we are investigating our options for an updated release of this dataset. (And yes if we can do it it will include all lines/modes)

In case you have not realised, the time&location data have misaligned columns on 2017-01-01 with the “tap” column missing.