Historic Roads Travel Time Data (TTDS)

Data is collected in real-time from commercial vehicles and has been provided in this dataset for the following period:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/historic-roads-travel-time-data-ttds

I am a Ph.D. student at Victoria University. For research purpose, I am grateful if I can access Historic Roads Travel Time Data (TTDS) data set. Thank you.

Hi @Ruwangi, you should be able to access this dataset. If you want to look at and download the files you will have to register an account and be logged in. Let me know if you have any more issues.

@alejandro.felman Thank you so much for the reply and I do have a login but inorder for me to access the data the system requires a "TfNSW Open Data Hub and Developer Portal username " and I am unable to create such account. If you can assist me to create such account will be a great help. Thanks

@alejandro.felman Thanks I got access to the data. Thank you

Does this TTDS dataset match the traffic volume data from RMS volume viewer on the corresponding dates?

I am trying to establish an empirical link performance function on a few road networks around Sydney Harbour Bridge which connects with the North Sydney area. My major source of traffic flow data comes from RMS, but I could only find the number of vehicles, not road occupancy, density or other related data.

I wonder if OpenData would have something to help me out, namely traffic flow/volume, matching travel time/speed and maybe road capacities on the Cahill Expressway, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Harbour Tunnel.

This is a part of my research project at university.

@LinjiChen I’ll take a stab at the first part while the Open Data team is away. As I understand it, the data in the RMS Volume Viewer is available via the NSW Roads Traffic Volume Counts API. TTDS data is only a sample of vehicle data, sourced from users of the TTDS service through apps like EasyDrop.

That’s correct, the TTDS dataset is a sample of historical data sourced from commercial vehicles. If you want to see real-time or more recent data you need to use the Roads API. Thanks, Alex

Hi,

I have some questions about the TTDS historic data. I’ve had a look at the “Roads - Realtime API specification” which doesn’t answer them.

1. Is the data presented just from one commercial vehicle? If multiple, how can we separate?
  2. How does the dataset account for the different days?
  3. Is there a way to know what type of commercial vehicle the data refers to?
  4. Is there a way to separate commercial vehicles out from the Roads Real Time API?

Hi,

Is there any further information available on the types of “commercial vehicles” the TTDS data come from? Qualitative would be fine. Are they mostly taxis? Delivery vans? Heavy trucks? All of those?

Thanks

My understanding of the data was that it was delivery vans mostly. We can see if we have some documentation about this and get back to you @lennoxj

Hi @lennoxj - documentation can be found here https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/TTDS_Mobile_API_Guide.pdf

Basically the info is sparse… but from what we can tell most of the vehicles should be heavy commercial vehicles (trucks).