Historical GTFS and GTFS Realtime

This dataset contains the historical GTFS and GTFS Realtime data.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/historical-gtfs-and-gtfs-realtime

Hi,

Is the same information available for other modes eg trains or buses?

Thanks.

K

1 Like

Yes! The plan is to roll out historical realtime data across the other modes. Watch this space!

Good to hear you are keen for it. Is there a particular mode you are more interested in @k4werri? We can see if we can prioritise accordingly.

Hi,

The same data for trains would be of interest in the first instance.

Regards.

K.

1 Like

Hi

The historical data for the ferries isnt available
Capture

Hi @lachlann, we are investigating the issue. We have published an API for historical GTFS real time data for Metro and Ferries.

Hi, we will be removing the zip files. You will still be able to get the data via the API.

Hi Yvonne,

I am writing a master thesis concerning bus bunching. I am trying to detect “black spots” of bus bunching with the help of your histrocial BOAM .txt files from Feb 2020. In order to validate this, I would be interested in the historical vehicle positions from specific routes. Is there a chance of accessing those?

all the best leon from germany

Hi Yvonne,

I am writing a master thesis concerning bus bunching. I am trying to detect “black spots” of bus bunching with the help of your histrocial BOAM .txt files from Feb 2020. In order to validate this, I would be interested in the historical vehicle positions from specific routes. Is there a chance of accessing those?

all the best leon from germany

Hi Leon

Apologies but we don’t currently have this data published.

We don’t want to open the flood gates but if you let us know which particular routes and which particular days we may be able to do a one off extract. No promises as we prefer a systemic approach in opening data as you can appreciate!

We’d be interested in your black spot detection work too if you have it publicly available.

Thanks
Yvonne

Hey Yvonne, thanks for your quick response.

My thesis is due in December - so I haven’t decided which routes I am going to investigate. I’ll get back to you then…

Another question I placed in the BOAM discussion, somewhat related to this one here though as well:

are the Occupancy numbers grouped into ranges of 20 based on the numbers for the seated capacity or based on those for the overall (including standing capacity)?

so does occupancy rande 21-40 mean that 21-40% of the overall or of the seating capacity is occupied?

many thanks leon

Hi Leon,

It is the number of passengers arriving at that stop. It is not in percentage.

Hi Terence, thanks for trying to help !

I was asking about the last column in the data provided via the BOAM: (see screenshot)

Occupancy Range on the very right…

the respective description in the documentation is as follows:

can you confirm that these are then mostly 0-20 passengers arriving so waiting at the stop or disembarking from the bus? I feel it should be percentage of capacity utilisation (why else would the range reach from 0-20 to 81-100 then?)

Hi Leon,

Yes, this is number of passengers on the bus when the bus arrives at the stop and it is not expressed in percentage.
It may be difficult to see this from BOAM data because bus capacity generally don’t exceed 100. If you see ROAM and FOAM, you can see this occupancy range above 100.

Hi Yvonne,

it’s me again concerning the bus bunching detection master thesis. I’ve discussed several options to validate the planned sequence mining algorithm with which I aim to identify bunching events and its “origin/black spots” (stops where headways start to critically deviate towards bunching further downstream of the respective route).

Historical GTFS datasets (preferrably Feb 2020 as this was an ordinary month without public holiday and almost “pre-COVID” - Lines 333 and 400) appear to be the most promising so far… Is there any chance to make this data available for me? If other routes’ data is easier to supply that would also be fine given the condition that the bus service operates on a maximum headway of 10 mins during peak hours (otherwise bunching tends to be significantly rarer).

All the best from Germany,

Leon

Hi @grillprinz

We will see if we can find and extract this data.
And would be interested to see your analysis/thesis too when you have this done.

Kind regards
Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

thanks a lot, that’s awesome news!!! Is there anything (e.g. more detailed requirements) I can help you with to make those datasets available?

I plan to finish my thesis just before Christmas, I am sure we will figure out a way for you to access it. My university is publishing it anyways as far as I am concerned.

All the best
Leon

Hi Leon

We’re still working on a way to organise it but it will be the Vehicle Position data for routes 333 and 400 in Feb 2020 in protobuf format. Can you please confirm.

Thanks
Yvonne

Hi there,

I am wondering whether Historical GTFS data is available for the buses?

Thanks,

Hi @Asad

There is a browser for Historical GTFS data here:
https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/historical-gtfs-bundles-and-timetables/resource/b2a12506-efd0-4874-9cd0-3cc718954029

Note this is the time table data :slight_smile:

The realtime is proving a bit more difficult to provide/find.

Kind regards
Yvonne