Trip ID for departure

Hi,

Results from a Trip Planner departure_mon enquiry often contain an AVMSTripID and I can use the value if required to lookup the trip and display the details. But entries without the “isRealTimeControlled” key don’t have the AVMSTripID field and I can’t see any way of determining the trip ID.

Can anybody tell me how I can get the trip ID for these entries ?

Thanks,
Steven

Update: On Sunday morning all stopEvents had a RealtimeTripId field which did provide the trip ID. But with the next departure_mon enquiry (same EFA_ID) all the bus entries did not contain this field.

My cURL command here is <‘https://api.transport.nsw.gov.au/v1/tp/departure_mon?outputFormat=rapidJSON&coordOutputFormat=EPSG:4326&mode=direct&type_dm=stop&name_dm=‘${T_STOP}’&depArrMacro=dep&itdDate=‘${T_DATE}’&itdTime=‘${T_TIME}’&TfNSWDM=true&version=10.2.1.42’>.

Is there anything wrong with my command or is there a better alternative ?

Thanks,
Steven

Hi @phelum, is this still happening? The only reason I can think of for this intermittent behaviour is that we have multiple load balanced instances servicing these requests and one of them was somehow dodgy.

Hi Vic,

Yes, it’s still happening. On my first attempt this morning (04:42) most of the entries don’t have any trip ID. I can’t attach the .gz or my list here so I’ll send an e-mail with the data.

Would you like me to write a web page so you can do the requests via my server and download the .gz if the display shows missing trip IDs ?

Thanks,
Steven

Hi @phelum no need to write a web page since the only endpoint your webpage could possibly hit is load balanced across multiple backend instances. When we have encountered intermittent issues in the past, it’s been due to some instances behaving differently to others which, given our CI/CD deployment methodologies, does not make sense. However, it’s almost the only reason such an intermittent issue can occur. We’ll need to spend significant time to investigate this issue across all of our instances. Unfortunately for you, this issue is not affecting our own trip planner or departure monitors and we have quite a number of high priority projects competing for priority. I’ll need to speak with the team to determine a priority level of this before we can start any investigation. I’ll get back to you.
Cheers
Vic

Hi Vic,

I appreciate the low priority of my request and also that it’s not really the primary area for your department. If there is any way I can override your load balancing (e.g. different URLs) I will gladly investigate for you.

If you do investigate this area could I suggest that you always provide a trip ID even for trips that have no realtime details. To avoid affecting any other users maybe add a new key (e.g. timetabledTripId) for this detail. Then anybody who relies on the absence of realtimeTripId (maybe they only want to display trips where realtime details are available) won’t be affected.

Thanks,
Steven

Sorry, by design, there is no way you can override our load balancing and security architecture.